Friday, October 22, 2010

Exercise - Analyzation of Beginnings

The Stranger by Albert Camus

  Maman died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don't know. I got a telegram from the home: "Mother deceased. Funeral tomorrow. Faithfully yours." That doesn't mean anything. Maybe it was yesterday.

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami

  In the spring of her twenty-second year, Sumire fell in love for the first time in her life. An intense love, a veritable tornado sweeping across the plains ... In short, a love of truly monumental proportions. The person she fell in love with happened to be seventeen years older than Sumire. And was married. And, should I add, was a woman. This is where it all began, and where it all wound up. Almost.

The Cut-Glass Bowl by F. Scott Fitzgerald

  There was a rough stone age and a smooth stone age and a bronze age, and many years afterward a cut-glass age. In that cut-glass age, when young ladies had persuaded young men with long, curly mustaches to marry them, they sat down several months afterward and wrote thank-you notes for all sort of cut-glass presents ...

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol

  Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, 'and what is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures or conversation?'
  So she was considering in her own mind (as well as she could, for the hot day made her feel very sleepy and stupid), whether the pleasure of making a daisy-chain would be worth the trouble of getting up and picking the daisies, when suddenly a White Rabbit with pink eyes ran close by her. 

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

  March 5, 1973, Daly City, CaliforniaㅡI'm late. I've got to finish the dishes on time, otherwise no breakfast; and since I didn't have dinner last night, I have to make sure I get something to eat. Mother's running around yelling at my brothers. I can hear her stomping down the hallway towards the kitchen. I dip my hands back into the scalding rinse water. It's to late. She catches me with my hands out of the water.
  SMACK! ...

What's going on here?
What kind of info is the author giving you?
What mystery is the author presenting?
What is set up for the whole story?

No comments: